Category Archives: Delicious
So it seems, summer holiday is the cooking season. Truth be told, I’m not fond of the kitchen, but sometimes it’s rewarding to fix something for myself.
This morning, I woke up at 7am as the construction started outside my house, tried very hard to go back to sleep but failed. Having no choice, I figured I’ll go for a run. Then I realised a huge section of sidewalk is closed or looked too dangerous to walk/run. Struggled for a while to get to the park and back totally exhausted.
Craving for something creamy and sweet, and a quick check of my kitchen inventory, I made this baked fruit oatmeal. Super tasty!!
What you need:
two cups of oatmeal
two small bananas
half tablespoon of raisin
What to do with all these things
1. Mesh one banana, slice the apple and put the whole thing in blender to make a puree-like mixture, stir in hazelnut milk
2. mix oatmeal, baking powder and almond.
3. Stir fruit-puree, oatmeal mixture together
4. Slice the other banana
5. Grease a cake pan
6. Pour the batter in and layer the top with banana slices
7. Bake for about 20 minutes at 375F
8. Then sprinkle with some sugar
9. Broil for another couple of minutes
10. Let stand for five minutes or so, then it’s good to go!!
My flatmate said should put some eggs in there and have cinnamon and vanilla as well. (Nowadays everyone is a critic.)
Pretty healthy, enough fibre, vitamin, etc and not so high on calorie. Yum!!
I craved for desert early in the morning, not exactly appropriate for breakfast, but then I remember Tehminah said something about bread pudding. Emm, bread is perfectly ok for breakfast, and pudding is definitely desert!! I searched online for recipe, but modified a little bit for my own taste.
4 slices of old french bread
one and half teaspoon butter
about two teaspoon of mixed berries (website says raisin, but I like berries)
2 cups of 2% lactose free milk (I guess whole milk works best)
about half cup of light brown sugar
about 1/4 cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon of chocolate powder (supposed to use cinnamon, but I hate it, so I use chocolate)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
some mixed crunched nuts (entirely optional, mere leftovers from the other day, figured just add them in)
Here is how I did it:
1. Heat milk in a small saucepan till film starts to form on the surface. Mix butter in it, stir till butter fully melts
2. Mix egg, chocolate powder, vanilla extract, sugar together and use medium speed on mixer for about a minute, add in milk-butter thing slowly in the process.
3. Break bread into small pieces and put in a greased 6-inch cake baking pan
4. mix in crunched nuts with bread pieces. sprinkle berries.
5. Pour mixture from step 2 into the baking pan. Push everything down with a fork so that bread is well soaked in the mixture.
6. Bake in preheated 175C oven for 45 or so minutes.
7. Nom nom nom~~~
I wanted to take pictures, but cannot find my memory card. (who the hell invented cameras that use microSD??How am I supposed to find that tiny little thing?)
Baking time is an ESTIMATE. Being an anxious person and having little resistance to the smell of food, I practically grabbed a magazine and sat in the kitchen to watch it, so didn’t pay much attention to clock.
I think I will use less brown sugar or none next time, doesn’t really go well with chocolate. But delicious nonetheless!!
This is the best breakfast I have had in a long long long time. Definitely made my day. Thanks to Tehminah for mentioning it~~~